Friday, July 5, 2013

The Inquiring Christian




Faith, belief and the mysterious are disciplines which taps into our deeper state and level of consciousness. This is my spiritual journey, to seek the truth, meaning and significance within our lives. We look into the mind of an inquiring Christian, someone who used to be a Christian but now, developed with a  strong grounding of critical thinking and an analytical mind, has started questioning and doubting the existence of his own God. This is his, or my personal quest for a deeper understanding of the truth. 

I've always been a Christian. I have always believed in a God. But the truth is that I never lived as he existed. I was interested more in the aspect, of what if, there was another God or another explanation and I've looked towards there. I've always neglected the God I grew up with, and pushed him aside. I did go bible studies and learn his word, but then grew bored of it because it seemed to be endless stories with moralistic teachings behind them. There was no meaning or significance, I wasn't someone who wanted to go to heaven, I wasn't afraid of going to hell either, I actually preferred a balanced mixture of positives and negative in what we call life. I still believed in living a good, moral, ethical, progressive and meaningful life. This was when I became agnostic - someone who does not deny the possibility of the existence of a God but acknowledges and suggests the idea that we do not currently have the comprehension, knowledge and facts to out-righteously claim that there is a good.

I've been sitting on the fence. Attending Church every Sunday never really 'transformed' me and I never 'felt' God's presence. When I went through a tough time, that's when I really thought I 'felt' God, and I may possibly even had experienced what many would call a 'vision' from God.  Strangely a while after the 'vision', I became addicted to learning more about him. It was the strangest feeling. I attended Church every Sunday and bought many books, I even enjoyed reading the bible in my spare time. It seemed the bible was the greatest truth ever written. But my hope in God disappeared in one day. I really believed that some form of destiny, had made me meet someone, with whom would show me the path towards God. I thought there was a possibility, that God himself, has put forth a certain kind of test. There were dreams I had before, which made me decide whether this person was special. I listened to those dreams and then amazing moments followed. 



I was recently invited to a very interesting debate, in 'Has Science buried God' at the Brisbane City Hall in August. The event can be seen here. Want a taste of Life, The Universe and Nothing? Here we have two keynote speakers from opposing views, one of which is Professor Lawrence Krauss, a renowned cosmologist, and science popularizer, and is the Foundation Professor in the School of Earth and Space Exploration, and the director of the Origins Project at Arizona State University. 

On the other hand, we have Dr. William Lane Craig who is the Research Professor of Philosophy at Talbot school of Theology in La Mirada, California. At the age of sixteen as a junior in high school, he heard the message of the Christian gospel and yielded his life to Christ. He pursued his undergraduate studies, and graduate studies at Trinity Evangelical Divinity School. He taught Philosophy of Religion at Trinity.

If there was another career path I would go into, it would be Philosophy, Religion and Spirituality. Sadly, you can't realistically make a living, and as someone who likes travelling, nice things and big dreams to experience the diversity of opportunities in life, it's not a career well suited to reaching my goals in life and financial freedom. It does however, tap into the deeper consciousness of my being, it something I'm extremely passionate about more so than anything else. My meaning in the world is drawn towards philosophy. I don't know where it began. Maybe from the visions and unique experiences I had when I was young. So I've treated this interest as passion, something I do in my spare time, something I can also integrate with my work as a planner. Planning allows to examine and design the social sphere in which our cities, communities and lives are built upon. Integrating things learnt in philosophy, religion and spirituality into the design of the cities is an interesting concept that I will build upon in the future. Keep my name, and this in mind. 

At the moment, I've been reading several philosophical books and also 'The Reason for God by Timothy Keller'; which is my first book which brings insight of religion from a Christian Apologetic perspective. I'm still gaining and developing a stronger understanding in these disciplines, and as I find out the more I read, the more I'm drawn into the depth of myself in the journey towards the truth, spirituality, meaning and significance.